Monday, December 14, 2009
One Week to Go
With the holiday coming up, we are down to one week, and you can count on it being a good one. We got through a lot last week and I expect similar results this week. I must apologize for this post being so late, but it was definitely a crazy week (and weekend) for me. We have a lot of things going on this week that throw off the schedule, so it will be a little crazy in class as well. With Robert Crown on Tuesday, an assembly Friday, and the winter party at the end of the week, the schedule has been shifted all over. However, it is important to note that we will be having Math each day (just in the afternoon on some days) and the Harcourt test will be Thursday instead of Friday.
As for last week in Reading, we did complete Seeing Earth from Space. Now we will be moving onto the next selection in the series, The Case of the Flying-Saucer People. Although we are taking the test on this story Thursday, it a very good piece, and I am confident the students will have no trouble getting into this one. We will continue focusing on main idea and supporting details throughout this story.
In Writing, the students had an opportunity to share what they wrote in their memoirs last week. From what I have read so far, I am really liking them. I have noticed a lot more elaboration and better word choice from the last memoir we wrote. I am still not done reading them all, but the break should give me a good chance to get through them all. The upcoming week will be spent focusing on our independent pieces. Not only that, but we will spend a lot of time in our Grammar/Sentence Writing curriculum.
In Science, the class has finished up their “The Cell as a Factory” models, shared the models with other students, and even written a piece about their models. The whole idea is to get students to understand the parts of a cell and the function of each part. I haven’t had a chance to finish grading all the quizzes on the cell parts, but I must say, “so far so good.”
This is going to be a bit of a crazy week with all the changes in the schedule. However, I am confident that we will take care of business. I am excited to wrap up our Science Unit and now that the Memoir Unit is complete, we can move on. We have just one more week before break, so let’s keep up the good work and finish this week up strong.
Celebrations!!!!
-100% on Unit 14 Spelling Test
Aimen, Hannah C., Avarie, Matthew R., Julia, Nathan, Dominic, & Victoria
-Lanie & Landon have been having a fun hockey season!
-Gabby, Julia, Megan are doing well in swimming!
-Brenna and Hannah C. both have/had a dance performance!
-Kara's lacrosse is going well!
-Ally had another ice skating competition!
-Nathan & Max were the first 5J students to publish a book with Cool Cat Press!
-Dominic & Max are having a blast on their travel soccer teams!
-The Band and Orchestra concert went really well...good job to all those who partcipated!
