Sunday, October 18, 2009

Little Time, a lot Accomplished!

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Despite the extremely short week, we accomplished a lot. In Reading, we took a break from the Harcourt series. We are actually a week ahead of the other classes, so instead we stayed busy working on figurative language. The students identified numerous pieces of figurative language that authors use like similes, metaphors, and onomatopoeias. In Writing, they even practiced creating pieces that included figurative language themselves. Even with the little time, we got a lot done for literacy. In the upcoming week, we will get back on track with the Harcourt series and we will be reading Woodsong, by one of my favorite authors Gary Paulsen.

In Math, we had our test on Tuesday, and although I am not completely done grading them, they are looking good so far. We also started working in Unit 3 which deals a lot with reading graphs, tables, and other data collection devices. As the unit goes on, we will also begin to delve into some geometry concepts. I am looking forward to another great few weeks in this unit.

We spent a lot of time this week working in Social Studies. The students are currently completing a research project on one of the 13 colonies during the 17th and 18th centuries. Each student is working in a pair, and they have spent a lot of time researching and preparing a draft for a PowerPoint presentation. We will start working on those PowerPoints this coming week. I have kept an eye on what information the students have been coming up with and I am very excited to see these presentations in the near future.

Although we had so little time last week, we really did get a lot accomplished. This upcoming week will be the last week of the quarter, so let’s keep our noses to the grindstone and finish this quarter strong. Report cards will be going out the following week, and parent-teacher conferences will be coming up too. Make sure everyone brings back their form confirming the times for parent-teacher conferences. I hope you all had a great weekend and I have some high expectations for this coming week.

Celebrations!!!!!
-100% on Spelling Test

Aimen, Megan, Victoria, Hannah C., Hannah F., Julia, Max, Landon, Jack, Matthew R., & Ally
-Max completed all levels in Division Otter Creek
-Victoria read over 200 minutes last week
-Nathan, Landon, Aimen, & Arushi finished really long books last week