Sunday, August 30, 2009

WELCOME TO 5J


The first week has gone by fast, but we have already accomplished a lot. We had our first Spelling test on Thursday and the class average was a over 90 percent! Great work students and parents, keep it up! We have also finished reading The Hot and Cold Summer in our Harcourt series. The students were practicing making predictions before, during, and after reading. We will be starting Sees Behind Trees this week. Science is off to a great start as well! We are learning about the digestive system, and that should last for awhile. Math and Writing are also well underway, and we have some big plans for the next few weeks.


The students have decided to read The Twits by Roald Dahl as our read aloud. Dahl is a hilarious author and a great illustrator. He has a number of great books so I would definitely suggest the students try out some of his other titles. I have also included a link on this blog that is a great resource for finding books based on author, genre, and/or reading level. Take advantage of that, along with the other links I have included.


We have also set some goals for the year. As a class, we are going to try to read 600 books, and a total of 100,000 minutes! We can definitely do this! Each student has a weekly reading log that they bring home. They should be reading a minimum of 100 minutes a week, and recording it in their log. If everyone stays on track with their reading, we should have no trouble meeting our goals.


It has been a great start to the year and I have high expectations for the rest of the year. Feel free to contact me whenever you need, and I look forward to seeing you at Curriculum Night!